A California fire department helped to ensure that a little girl will be able to do her homework every night by replacing her special desk that was destroyed in a fire.
Brittany Roberts and her family were sleeping when a fire broke out last month, ABC News reported. The fire caused minimal damage but burned something important to Roberts’ daughter: her pink Minnie Mouse desk that she had recently received as a gift.
“Not only” did they buy Roberts’ young daughter a new one, they stopped by their home, set it up, and “presented it to her.” They even played with Roberts’ son and played with a fire truck.
“Those were the nicest officers or department of authority that I have ever met in my entire life,” Roberts said.
Roberts’ daughter was “so happy” and “smiling” at the sight of her new digs, the mother said.
On Oct. 29, the family was sleeping when a small fire broke out in the back bedroom of their home around 4 a.m. Next to the trash bin where the fire originated was a “badly damaged Minne Mouse desk,” firefighters said.
Santa Clara Battalion Chief Drew Miller said that after getting to know the little girl, the firefighters realized how important her desk was to her and wanted to do something to make her day.
“The crew tracked down the identical desk and returned five days later,” Miller said.
It brightens our day when we get a chance to help, hopefully this video brightens yours. pic.twitter.com/GW0oJAJoDj
— Santa Clara CA Fire (@SantaClaraFD) November 15, 2016
The Santa Clara Fire Department posted a video to Twitter documenting the good deed, which began with a famous quote from the late poet Maya Angelou, which may explain why the firefighters decided to make the little girl’s day.
“People may not remember exactly what you did…but they will always remember how you made them feel,” the video begins.
The fire caused “minimal damage” but “ruined a little girl’s day,” the video explains.
“We saw an opportunity to bring back comfort,” the video continued, showing the elated girl sitting in her mini Minnie Mouse desk. “We saw an opportunity to bring back a smile.”
Robert said she is “still in shock” over the firefighters’ act of kindness, calling them an “awesome team.” She added that her daughter is “totally in love” with her new desk and made her throw her own one away.
The mother said she was “so appreciative” of the firefighters and that act of kindness was the “nicest thing” anyone has ever done for her family.