A South Carolina family has been left stunned after finding that a Bible was the only thing to survive a horrendous house fire that engulfed their North Augusta home earlier this month. Despite some minor smoke damage, the scriptures managed to go through the flames completely unscathed. Discovered under a mountain of charred debris and placed openly on a nightstand, owner Wendy Crawley has taken its survival as a sign from God and a testament to His faithfulness.
“It was completely unprotected. It was wide open. All the things around it were burned. Everything in there was destroyed, and there laid my bible,” Wendy explained to WRDW 12. “I think I was numb, I couldn’t believe it. It didn’t hit me for about 3 days.”
Wendy said that the damage to the Bible is minor is compared to the devastation that the flames left behind in the rest of the house. Tragically, the family dogs were killed in the blaze. “We’ve had one for 15 years, and the other one was our son’s service dog,” Wendy revealed to WJBF News Channel 6.
The service dog, Sugar, an integral part of the family, and was particularly special to her 10-year-old son, who has autism.
“She was always there for him,” the mother recalled. “If he couldn’t figure out how to calm down, she would come and she would sit, and she would just lay on him and love on him.”
Miraculously, despite the deadly heat of the flames, the Bible was pretty much fine. “It has some smoke damage and the pages were completely wet, but there’s not a page destroyed,” noted Wendy.
As the family recovers from the devastation caused by this horrendous inferno, Wendy is stirred in her faith by the miraculous survival of her treasured Bible.
“It’s easy to find God when things are going good, but when you step in the midst of all of that and find him, it’s comforting,” she declared. “God didn’t start that fire, but He has certainly brought you through it,” she said.
Incredibly, a remarkably similar situation occurred just a couple of days ago in Lincoln County, when two Bibles survived a blaze at a house that put the lives of a pregnant mother and her kids at risk. Kaylynn Blackwood left two Bibles on the nightstand before she went to bed – by the next morning, that same nightstand was burnt to a crisp. The Bibles, however, were miraculously unharmed.
“The Bible has some water damage and some soot damage, but there is not a page in it burnt. But it just goes to show that God is so good, even when tragedy strikes. God is so good,” Blackwood explained, as reported by Spectrum Local News.