Fox has picked up Tim Allen’s “Last Man Standing” one year after ABC caused an uproar when canceling the popular series after six seasons.
When the series was canceled last spring, fans accused ABC of punishing Allen for his political views, USA Today reported.
ABC denied the claims and blamed the cancellation on soaring production costs.
Earlier this month, Allen hinted that a return could be imminent following the successful reboot of “Roseanne” on ABC, which addressed star Roseanne Barr’s support for President Donald Trump.
Allen was the driving force behind the revival, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Nancy Travis, Jonathan Adams, Amanda Fuller, Christoph Sanders and Jordan Masterson are among the cast members who have signed on to return.
On Friday, Allen took to Twitter to thank fans for their support, writing, “We are back!”
Allen said in a statement that when he heard about the offer to reboot, he “did a fist pump so hard I threw my back out.”
“I could not be more grateful for the fans who wrote petitions and kept up the passion and incredible support for the show,” Allen said, saying that network execs canceled the show in the height of its prime apparently “for no reason.”
— Last Man Standing (@LastManStanding) May 11, 2018
The show stars Allen as married father Mike Baxter, who tried to maintain his masculinity while raising three girls.
“Last Man Standing” averaged 8.3 million viewers in its final season and was ABC’s second-best performing comedy, after “Modern Family.”
A return date for the series has not yet been determined.
(H/T: The Hollywood Reporter)