A young Louisiana boy is a little hero after saving a family from a potentially deadly fire.
DeShawn Labarriere, 7, was dropped off at his babysitter’s house Friday night, his mother told WWLTV. Hours later, she received a phone call notifying her of the fire.
“Words can’t explain,” Brittany Labarriere said. “Thank God I live right around the corner.”
DeShawn had fallen asleep on the sofa when the fire broke out on the wall nearest to him,” he said.
“A lot of fire started before I woke up,” he explained, adding that at first he thought he was hearing fireworks.
“…But who could shoot fireworks late at night like that?” he asked. “It was fire.”
DeShawn then placed a blanket over his head to protect himself. He explain that he began “banging on the door so hard that everybody woke up, and then we went outside.”
DeShawn’s late grandfather, who died of lung cancer last year, was a volunteer firefighter for 30 years and a police officer for 35 years. Labarriere said she believes DeShawn had a guardian angel that night.
“I know my dad was with him,” she said. “My dad was there.”
DeShawn saved five lives over the weekend. Kenner Fire Department Chief John Hellmers said he was glad to see his late friend’s legacy being carried on by his grandson.
“It’s rewarding for my men and women of the department to know the importance when they’re out teaching fire education,” he said. “That is really our best to-do as fire prevention.”
– Church’s Hilarious Sign Has a Message for Clemson Football Fans
– ‘Mysterious’ In-N-Out Burger President Opens Up About Her Rollercoaster Faith Journey
– Report: Christian Persecution has Risen to ‘Dire’ and ‘Unprecedented’ Levels Globally
– Huge Number of Americans Now Say Protecting Religious Freedom is ‘Immediate Priority’