Amid increased persecution aimed at Egypt’s Coptic Christians, there’s a new report from a human rights group claiming that a mob of Muslim radicals burned down three Christians’ homes and left at least eight people injured.
The attack, according to International Christian Concern, unfolded in Kom El-Loufy, Egypt, on April 13, following a Christian prayer service that was led in a local home. A witness who spoke on condition of anonymity gave the human rights organization a detailed account of what unfolded.
The horrific incident reportedly took place as security officials were on the scene to try and protect the Christians involved, raising questions as to how such a violent incident could take place amid police protection.
“We asked the local security authorities to grant us a permit [to] hold prayers and they agreed. They granted us a permit to hold these prayers and the security forces came to secure the mass,” the witness said. “At about 10:00 a.m., after the worship ended, we started on our way to our homes. Then, a mob of Muslims gathered and began to attack us and our homes. They hurled stones at our homes and set fire on three houses owned by Christians named Issa Saroufim, Morris Botros, and his brother Faris Faris.”
The assault left two Christian women injured — one with a broken arm and another with a broken leg. Additionally, six Christian men were injured.
International Christian Concern reported that Christians were previously attacked in the village last year after rumors circulated that they were planning to build a church; there is currently no local church in the village.
“The attacks on Egypt’s Christian community continue despite the state of emergency declared by the central government,” William Stark, regional manager of International Christian Concern, said in a statement. “Yesterday, an entire community of Christians was attacked while returning home from a prayer service.”
Stark said it is “most disturbing” that the attack purportedly took place as security forces watched. He continued, “Egypt must do more to protect its Christian community or else attacks like this and the bombings we witnessed last Sunday will continue.”
As Faithwire previously reported, Egyptian Christians continue to be under assault, with two Coptic Christian churches targeted with terror attacks on Palm Sunday, leaving dozens dead.
That attack left many Christians angry and fearful that the Egyptian government isn’t properly protecting them, especially after previously reports indicating that violence against Copts appears to be on the rise.
Other Must-Read Stories: