Atheist activists took out a full-page ad in Thursday’s New York Times to send a pointed message to U.S. President Donald Trump: “Mr. President, we are NOT a ‘nation of believers.'”
READ: ‘A Great Mystery’: Christian Baker Punished for Refusing to Make Gay Wedding Cake Awaits Major Supreme Court Response
The full page ad from the Freedom From Religion Foundation features a cartoon-like image of Trump surrounded by the various faith leaders who stood behind him on the day he signed his now-infamous religious freedom executive order.
The text proclaims that the U.S. is “one nation under a godless constitution” and that citizens are free to either believe or disbelieve.
See a portion of the full-page ad below:
The atheist activist group said in a statement that the ad was partially motivated by Trump’s recent commencement speech at Liberty University during which is said that “America is a nation of true believers.”
So, the Freedom From Religion Foundation has set out to send a very different message, framing Trump’s statements about the faithful as “exclusionary remarks” that “denigrate the quarter of the U.S. population today that is nonreligious.”
The ad proclaims, “The United States is not a theocracy and there is no religious test for citizenship. It’s never been more crucial for those of us who dissent from religion to stand up for the constitutional principle of separation between state and church.”
The Freedom From Religion Foundation used the ad to encourage “secularists” to join the organization or to consider donating money in Vice President Mike Pence’s name.
Other Must-Read Stories:
– Look Closely at This Home Video of the ‘Duck Dynasty’ Cast Singing ‘Happy Birthday’ — Do You Notice Anything Strange?
– ‘A Great Mystery’: Christian Baker Punished for Refusing to Make Gay Wedding Cake Awaits Major Supreme Court Response
– Watch This Singer Totally Transform a Popular Hit Song Into a Christian-Themed Tune About God
– ‘Enjoy Life’: Wife of Fallen Cop Reads Emotional Letter He Wrote in Case Anything Happened to Him on the Job
– Trump Reveals Contents of His Silent Prayer to God During Historic Visit to the Western Wall