A four-year-old girl has contacted a life-threatening disease after trying on shoes without socks. Welsh mother Jodie Thomas explained that her daughter Sienna had been trying on shoes just a day before the horrific infection took hold through a little cut on her foot.
“The shoes she liked had been tried on by other little girls and that’s how Sienna picked up the infection,” Thomas, 26, told The Sun. The day after the pair had been shopping together, Sienna developed an excruciating sore on her foot. This soon led to an infection which began to spread up her leg, causing the little girl to experience a high fever.
“I drove her straight to the hospital, she was shaking and twitching – it was horrible to see my little girl like that,” Thomas explained. “They said it was sepsis and thought they would have to operate.”
The young girl had to spend the next five days having he infected leg drained, and only narrowly avoided having to undergo surgery. Now, Thomas is warning parents of the subtle risks that come with trying on shoes. “For all parents please put socks on you’re children while trying new shoes on,” she wrote on Facebook. “I’m guilty for not doing it for mine and myself, but this can be the outcome… infection spreading throughout the body. You don’t know whose feet have been in them beforehand!!”
****sorry for gross pics****For all parents please put socks on you're children while trying new shoes on. I'm guilty…
While the mother had heard of common foot infections such as athletes foot, she was shocked to discover that blood poisoning or “sepsis” can develop as a result.
“This frightening case shows us that sepsis strikes indiscriminately and can affect anyone at any time,” Dr. Ron Daniels, chief executive of the U.K. Sepsis Trust, told the outlet. “Whenever there are signs of infection, it’s crucial that members of the public seek medical attention urgently and just ask: ‘Could it be sepsis?’”
The CDC warns that Sepsis is a “life-threatening medical emergency” and “the body’s extreme response to an infection.”
“Without timely treatment, sepsis can rapidly lead to tissue damage, organ failure, and death.”
The advice in this instance is simple: make sure you always have a spare pair of socks with you when going shoe shopping!