A group of Fulani militants slaughtered some 16 Christians Sunday in the state of Nasarawa. The vicious attack, which occurred in Konshu-Numa village, took place after an infant dedication service.
Tragically, the militants claimed the life of the baby’s mother, Safaratu John Kabiru Ali, along with several others, some of whom were children.
Morning Star News reported that those shot dead were between the ages of 10 and 80, with the baby’s father, John Kabiru Ali, currently in critical condition after suffering gunshot wounds.
How did the attack unfold?
After the child was dedicated in Ruhaniya Baptist Church in the village April 14, which was also Palm Sunday, family and friends gathered together in the predominantly Christian neighborhood to eat and celebrate.
It was at this point that a group of Fulani militants, an Islamic group known to be extremely violent toward Christians, stormed the party and opened fire indiscriminately. Among those killed was one Muslim man who was thought to be a DJ hired for the event.
A local resident told Morning Star that among those killed were “10 members of the Ruhaniya Baptist Church, five members of Evangelical Reformed Church of Christ (ERCC), one member of the Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA), and a musician playing for guests.”
While details still remain sketchy, Samuel Meshi, chairman of the Akwanga Local Government Council, told the outlet the group of Christians did absolutely nothing to provoke to the horrific attack.
“They just started shooting sporadically on a community that was just having a feast of the dedication of a child after a church service earlier in the day on Sunday, 14 April, at a Baptist church in the area,” Meshi said.
“The killings occurred in the evening of that day. Unfortunately, these persons were killed in cold blood for just no reason,” he noted.
According to Nigerian outlet The Punch, the governor of Narasawa State, Umaru Tanko Al-Makura, has demanded that the perpetrators be apprehended immediately so that they justice can be served.
According to reports, he has given the military just seven days to locate the attackers. He also assured the public that the government will do everything in its power to protect lives and property.
“This is something we are going to take seriously. We are going to have a Security Council meeting and I have already directed security operatives to ensure that they fish out these people and bring them to boo,” Al-Makura said, according to Channels TV.
Major General Adeyemi Yekini subsequently announced his strategy to track and arrest those involved in the slayings.
“I have directed my troops to move to Akwanga and join other security forces to track down the perpetrators of this crisis, let us apprehend them so that justice can be done,” he said.
Yekini also noted that his troops had arrested 11 suspected attackers and seized some 37 assorted weapons during a recent military offensive,
Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS), in Nasarawa State.
“OPWS undertook nine operations in the past five weeks; from March 9 to April 17 this year in the state, which covered Doma, Toto, Obi and Awe local government areas of Nassarawa State where the 37 weapons were recovered,” he said, according to Nigerian newspaper, Daily Trust.
A mass burial of those who lost their lives was held April 17. Do pray for all the families that have been devastated by this horrific event.