Six Covington Catholic High School families have launched a lawsuit against comedian Kathy Griffin after she demanded that the names of youngsters involved in a tense stand-off after a March For Life event be revealed on Twitter.
“Name these kids. I want NAMES. Shame them. If you think these f***ers wouldn’t dox you in a heartbeat, think again,” Griffin tweeted after footage emerged of Covington student Nick Sandman going face-to-face with a native American activist.
As it turned out, the activist, Nathan Phillips, had been the aggressor in the situation — waiting for the Covington kids to get off their bus and marching up to the group in an intimidating fashion.
Responding to a Twitter user who was concerned about the potential for mistaken identity, Griffin urged the person to “calm down,” before adding that “human beings and the Internet have a way of working these things out.”
“These “Catholic” kids must be identified by name, we need to know their whereabouts for the nations safety,” she added. “Calm down, there are no minors who have been wrongly identified to the point of being in danger.”
Parents of the boys think otherwise. In a lawsuit filed Monday, they claimed that Griffin had committed an invasion of privacy and had engaged in “menacing, threatening, and civil harassment,” according to LifeSiteNews.
Griffin “acted in a hateful, concerted, and targeted doxing campaign conducted in the Commonwealth of Kentucky to harass, humiliate, and threaten the Plaintiffs; to intrude upon and violate their privacy, and to substantially assist, encourage, and act in concert with others to engage in such harmful conduct,” the lawsuit stated.
As a result of Griffin’s exposure, the boys experienced “death threats in the sanctity of their homes and school (CCH),” and have been “subject to and incurring intimidation, harassment, annoyance, and alarm, including such injury to them in their future academic, business, career, and employment opportunities.”
Griffin was thrust into the spotlight back in 2017 when she posted a picture of herself holding a decapitated head made out to look like President Donald Trump. Despite facing charges of conspiracy to assassinate the President of the United States, Griffin later said that she did not regret the stunt.
“It was worth it,” she told the Hill, noting that it gave her comedy career a boost of publicity. “Believe it or not, the picture that almost took me down is the picture that allowed me to tour globally for the first time,” she added.
Now, however, she may have to part ways with much of her ill-gotten wealth, as the Covington parents are seeking substantial “compensatory and punitive damages” from the TV personality.
The legal backlash from the Covington incident has been massive. Attorneys representing Nick Sandmann alone have filed defamation suits against media giants CNN, NBC, MSNBC, and The Washington Post for their reporting on the notorious incident.