A Tuesday morning shooting on a New York City subway left at least 16 people injured and witnesses terrified as stunned residents quicking fled the scene.
The New York Police Department (NYPD) updated the public during a Tuesday press conference as officials are continuing to investigate the shocking incident. So far, a suspect in the Brooklyn shooting has not been named.
Watch the press conference, which included NYC Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell and New York Gov. Kathy Hochul, among others:
The 16 people harmed during the rampage — some in critical but stable condition — were transported to three areas hospitals. Officials said during a Tuesday morning press conference there are currently no life-threatening injuries.
Witnesses have begun to describe the events as they unfolded.
“All you heard was a big, loud noise that sounded like a big bang, an explosion, and then there were people running out of the train station,” one woman said of the incident. “So it was just very hectic this morning.”
The details continue to come in but here’s what we know so far:
It’s Not Being Investigated as Terrorism
New York City officials said Tuesday morning that, while there is no known motive at the moment, there is currently no reason at this time to believe the event is terror-related. Authorities, though, aren’t ruling anything out.
“This is not being investigated as an act of terrorism at this time,” Sewell said.
It Happened During Rush Hour
The violent attack unfolded around 8:30 a.m. on a train headed from Brooklyn into Manhattan. WABC-TV has more:
At least four of the victims were found at the 36th Street subway station in Sunset Park and another at the 25th Street station in Greenwood Heights just before 8:30 a.m.
It appears at this time to have happened … beginning at the 25th Street station.
An MTA spokesperson told CNN the shooting took place as passengers traveled on the N train.
There Are No Active Explosive Devices at the Scene
In addition to shooting injuries during the attack at the 36th St. station in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, there were reportedly undetonated devices found on the scene.
But the NYPD tweeted — and reiterated during the press conference — that there are currently “no active explosive devices.”
“In regard to the multiple people shot at the 36th Street subway station in Brooklyn, there are NO active explosive devices at this time,” the department wrote.
In regard to the multiple people shot at the 36th Street subway station in Brooklyn, there are NO active explosive devices at this time. Any witnesses are asked to call @NYPDTips at #800577TIPS. Please stay clear of the area. More provided information when available. pic.twitter.com/8UoiCAXemB— NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) April 12, 2022
The Suspect Was Wearing a Gas Mask
Reports indicate that the suspect was wearing a gas mask and was dressed in construction attire, similar to what a Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) worker would typically don, according to the Post.
The suspect, who reportedly threw smoke bombs on the subway car before opening fire, is described as a 5’5” black male who is between 175 and 200 pounds.
Retired NYC Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce offered his take to WABC-TV.
“This perpetrator dropped those smoke cans, if that’s what they are, and shot around, and then exited from that point,” he said. “He’s not going to stay on there if there’s smoke on there, even if he has the filter mask.”
There Was Panic
Witnesses have shared about the fear that gripped them during the ordeal. One witness named Yav Montano told CNN the gunshots sounded like fireworks. When he realized it was bullets, he hid.
“I honestly have no words for what I’ve experienced,” he said. “I was in the front end of the third car and everything happened at the back end of the same car … As soon as the smoke, like, flared up, it started to engulf everything. People started migrating to the front of the car.”
Montano described seeing blood on the floor and “people trampling each other” in an effort to get to the door. Once the train moved and the doors opened, people fled.
The Suspect Is Still at Large
According to Fox News, the suspect is still at large. Nearby schools are locked down under shelter-in-place policies.
This is a breaking news story. Stay tuned for updates.
***As the number of voices facing big-tech censorship continues to grow, please sign up for Faithwire’s daily newsletter and download the CBN News app, developed by our parent company, to stay up-to-date with the latest news from a distinctly Christian perspective.***