A teen who was hunting in Florida Tuesday night will never forget the moment he came across several children suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Raymond Nelson, 17, chased his dog through some woods near Youngstown, which led him to a SUV that was stuck in the mud. Smoke was billowing inside, and the children were unconscious in their seats, WJHG reported.
Nelson said at first he “didn’t know what to do,” but he then sprang into action, helping another passerby pull five kids out of the truck.
Nelson then called his father for help, and Foster Nelson came as soon as he could.
“It looked bad,” Nelson Raymond said. “It was not something you’d wanna see every day.”
The group knew the children were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Wendell Winchester, who was hunting with the Nelsons, immediately began administering CPR.
The men worked for several minutes until they got all of the children breathing. Paramedics arrived shortly after they became conscious again.
To calm them down, Nelson had the children pet his dog, who also played a significant role in the rescue.
“When you come up on something like that and there’s kids laying around you’re gonna do whatever you gotta do no matter what it takes and that’s all any of us done.”