The weekend is coming to an end, but we’re closing it out with Faithwire’s top 10 most inspirational and uplifting stories of the past week. Here we go:
1) Newly minted New York Mets minor league baseball player Tim Tebow recently paid a visit to the 105th New York Police Department (NYPD) precinct in Queens, New York, to honor fallen police officer Brian Moore, and to thank all the men and women in the force. In explaining the visit, Tebow said, “It matters to me, and they’re making a difference. What they’re doing is significant. Sometimes it can be a thankless job. We just wanted to take this time to say thank you.”
2) Then, there were two pretty remarkable stories to come out of the tragic wildfires in Tennessee. First, there was a scorched Bible page found in the debris earlier this week — a discovery that brought those who first saw it to tears. Then, a TV reporter discovered a Jesus statue that was the only thing still standing after a home burned to the ground.
3) And if that’s not enough goodness for you, consider what a high school runner did when she saw one of her competitors struggling and repeatedly collapsing near the finish line: She stopped, helped the girl to her feet and proceeded to guide her through the remainder of the race, despite knowing she’d be disqualified for her actions.
4) Plus, for those of you who attend church (and for those who don’t, maybe pay attention), there’s a super encouraging study out that shows the amazing benefits of heading to the pews each week (hint: there seems to be an intricate tie between church attendance and overall health and well-being).
5) Also, remember the Amazon ad released earlier this month that played up a positive relationship between a priest and an imam? It turns out the two real-life clerics — who first met on the set of the commercial — have now struck up a real-life relationship. They recently talked all about it.
6) Then there’s Pastor Li Guozhi, who has been imprisoned in China for nearly a year based on the purportedly false claim that he divulged state secrets. While his story is certainly sad, he recently penned an incredible letter to his wife — and its contents are profoundly moving. You must read it.
7) There have been claims that Jesus has been appearing to Muslims in dreams and visions, helping lead people to the Christian faith — it’s a story that’s been getting a lot of attention.
8) Ever feel like your failing as a parent? Well, one mom’s candid Facebook post openly admitting her relatable parenting slip-ups and imperfections — complete with a frazzled selfie featuring her holding a container of celery — has gone viral in recent days. Read her comments and you might just feel a bit better about yourself.
9) Washington Redskins QB Kirk Cousins is planning to use his time on the field to make a statement this weekend. He’ll wear blue and white cleats with the writing, “until all are free!” at his next game, this Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals, to raise awareness about the seriousness of human trafficking.
10) And last but not least: Debbie Baigrie and Ian Manuel are now friends, which is shocking considering Manuel robbed Baigrie and shot her in the face 26 years ago when he was just 13-year-old. But in a stunning show of forgiveness, she was one of the first smiling faces to greet the now 39-year-old just hours after he left prison.
BONUS: What better way to celebrate the weekend and get into the Christmas spirit than listening to and watching this now-viral rendition of “Amazing Grace?” It’s a collaborative effort by popular artists Peter Hollens and music group Home Free — and offers up a beautifully performed version of the popular hymn.
Other Must-Read Stories:
– ‘Fixer Upper’ Star Chip Gaines Unveils Inspiring Response as ‘All Hell ‘Appears’ to be Breaking Loose’
– High School Runner’s Amazing Act of Sportsmanship and Compassion Got Her Disqualified — but It’s Inspiring the Masses
– ‘Goosebumps’: Man Discovers Scorched Bible Page in Gatlinburg Fire Debris — and the Verses Led Him to ‘Burst Into Tears’
– Security Cam Caught Alleged Shoplifter Stealing Groceries — But Store Owner’s Reaction is Getting the Most Attention